Wednesday 10 July 2013

Sooji (Semolina) Ladoo



I went for a vacation,to meet my sister-in-law and my little nephew.And on this visit,my nephew requested,asking to make something sweet for him.

My sister-in-law is quite strict about his eating chocolates (I pity that little guy) so when he asked me I had to make something that's healthy and easy yet tasty.

Ladoo is really a yum treat and specially children love to indulge in it.During Diwali or any other occasions sweets are a must in Indian houses,we believe exchanging packet of sweets is a good gesture towards family and friends.Out of all the home-made sweet delicacies,ladoos are famous and a regular sweet.

Here's the recipe.


Ingredients:

1 cup very fine semolina.
3/4 cup granulated sugar (according to taste).
2 1/2 tablespoons of Ghee or Clarified Butter.
2 tablespoons of cashew and almond,roughly chopped.
2 tablespoons of raisins.
6 green cardamom,grounded into fine powder.
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg powder.
A large pinch of saffron dissolved in 1 tablespoon of milk or water.


Method:

Dry roast the semolina on a low flame,until it turns golden brown.

Now heat ghee/clarified butter and add in the chopped nuts and raisins.Then add in the semolina and stir to mix well.

Add sugar,cardamom powder,nutmeg powder and mix everything well.

Take it off from heat and add in the milk and let it cool in a plate.

Once it has cooled down slightly,but in lukewarm state,shape them in form of marbles by squeezing a handful between your finger and palm.

Set them in a plate and place a sliced almond or pistachio on top of each.

Store them in an air tight jar or box and keep them in refrigerator.


(You'll notice I haven't used coconut,because I don't like it in ladoos.But if you want to go by the book,then add in grated coconut.I don't think it makes any huge difference though,depends on individual taste.If you ask me,its tastes equally better without it.So try it and enjoy!)


No comments:

Post a Comment